For legal purposes, the provider of this website is the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI).
This legal notice also applies to the AWI’s presence on other online platforms, e.g.:
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Polar- und Meeresforschung
Am Handelshafen 12
Tel.: +49 (0)471 4831-0
Fax: +49 (0)471 4831-1149
The Alfred Wegener Institute is a foundation under public law. In addition, the AWI is a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres.
The Alfred Wegener Institute is legally represented by:
Prof Antje Boetius (director)
Dr Karsten Wurr (administrative director)
VAT-ID according to § 27a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 114707273
Responsible for journalistic/editorial content in keeping with § 55 II of the German Interstate Broadcasting Agreement (RStV):
Dr Klaus Grosfeld (managing director of the Helmholtz Climate Initiative REKLIM)
The Alfred Wegener Institute permits the following types of private use with regard to the graphics, photographs and other illustrations on its websites:
- Copying images to your private computer
- Printing the images for private (non-commercial) archiving or decorative purposes
- Sharing the images with friends and/or family, provided the images’ origin is duly cited, the copyright sign/statement is included, and the receiving party is informed that the images are only provided for their private use
Generally speaking, the Alfred Wegener Institute does not permit the use of the graphics, photographs and other illustrations on its websites for any of the following purposes:
- Advertising, designing advertisements, commercials, etc.
- Selling products in which the images are the focus (t-shirts, coffee mugs, posters, etc.)
- Selling digital copies of the image data
The Alfred Wegener Institute assumes no responsibility for the correctness or completeness of any information presented on its websites, for said information being up to date, or in connection with errors of omission, editorial or technical errors, except in the event that wilful intent or gross negligence can be proven on the part of the author.