A. General information
1. Extent of data processing
2. Legal basis for data processing
Art. 6 (1)(a) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis whenever we obtain the consent of the person concerned ("data subject") for the processing of their personal data.
Art. 6 (1)(b) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis for the processing of personal data which is necessary for performing a contract to which the data subject is a party. The same applies to processing that is required for carrying out pre-contractual measures.
Art. 6 (1)(f) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis when processing is necessary to safeguard a legitimate interest of AWI or a third party, and provided this legitimate interest is not outweighed by the data subject’s interests and fundamental rights and freedoms.
3. Data erasure and storage duration
4. Controller’s contact details
Data controller within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other national data protection legislation as well as any other data protection regulations:
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Polar-und Meeresforschung
Am Handelshafen 12
Contact form: https://www.awi.de/ueber-uns/service/kontakt.html
5. Contact details of the data protection officer:
Tel.: +49 (471) 4831-1637
B. Provision of the website and creation of log files
We store data relating to individual visits to our website for statistical purposes to improve the quality of our web pages. This data record consists of:
- the page from which the data file was requested,
- the name of the data file,
- the date and time of the query,
- the quantity of data transmitted,
- the status of access (the file was transmitted or the file was not found),
- a description of the type of web browser used,
- the IP address of the inquiring computer.
The data is stored in the log files of our systems. Storage of this data together with other personal data of the user does not take place.
The legal basis for the temporary storage of data and the log files is Art. 6 (1)(f) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Storage in log files is carried out to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, the data is used to optimise the web pages, to carry out troubleshooting and to ensure the security of our IT systems. These purposes also constitute our legitimate interest in the data processing pursuant to Art. 6 (1)(f) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer needed to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. In the case of data collection for the provision of the website, the data is deleted when the respective session has ended. If the data is stored in log files, it will be deleted after seven days at the latest. Further storage is possible, in which case the IP addresses are deleted or altered so that identification of the calling client is no longer possible.
The collection of data for the purpose of providing the website and storage of the data in log files is absolutely necessary for the operation of the website. Consequently, there is no right to objection on the part of the user.
C. Rights of the data subject
As the data subject whose personal data is collected within the scope of the above-mentioned services, you have the following rights, unless any legal exceptions apply in individual cases:
- Information (Art. 15 GDPR)
- Rectification (Art. 16 GDPR)
- Erasure (Art. 17 (1) GDPR)
- Restriction of processing (Art. 18 GDPR)
- Data portability (Art. 20 GDPR)
- Objection to processing (Art. 21 GDPR)
- Withdrawal of consent (Art. 7 (3) GDPR)
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (Art. 77 GDPR). For AWI, this is the Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz und Informationssicherheit (State Data Protection and Freedom of Information Officer), Arndtstrasse 1, 27570 Bremerhaven.